Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The Nights Have Gone To The Dogs!






Okay - one dog in particular.  Bella is proving to be a highlight to the holidays as well a hinderance to our sleeping schedule.  I know - puppies are like newborns.  They cry and whine and eat and poop.  Well, she has taken it one step further.  She is a little sick.  I wound up taking both Ali and Ian into the doctor on Monday and they both have ear infections.  Then, I took Bella to the vet and she has Coccidia - a parasite in her small intestines.  Turns out, all the pups from the littler have it.  So - there's lots and lots of poop, blood, special diet, antibiotics and very little sleep.  It sounds gross (that's because it is).  My hands are getting raw from washing them constantly and now lotion just burns when I put it on.  Oh well - it's the price I pay for loving this little pup.

It's not little Bella's fault and we are doing all we can to make sure she gets better fast.  The kids adore her, when she is not using Ian as a chew toy.  When Bella is feeling a little frisky, she runs towards Ian.  His first response is to cover his crotch with his hands.  I guess Bella has gotten him a few times.  She is really adorable and very playful and also pretty smart.  We are teaching her to go potty in one place outside, she is already sitting on command and learning her name.  She hears "No" a lot - so she and Ian have a lot in common.  

We are looking forward to Bella (or Belly as Ian calls her) getting better so we can get her trained.  She already feels like part of the family.  Derek is trying to become a dog person (but this is going to take time).  I just hope it's sooner than later.  Ian decided he likes Bella's new crate and crawled in himself to check it out.  We were so happy when it was super warm yesterday and spent most of the day outside.  Bella enjoyed a nap sunning herself in the backyard.  Spring can't get here soon enough!  

3 comments:

Karen said...

Ugh. I just have to say that I'm glad it's you and not me. I'm SO not a dog person. She's really cute though, and it's nice that the kids love her so much. Hope the kids feel better soon, and that Bella recovers quickly.

Tucker said...

So cute, puppy's are such high maintenance... like you said, a "new addition". It'll all be worth it when she's trained... I'm a little jealous!

Thanks for coming to Gracie's blessing, it meant a lot to me. We loved seeing you and wished we could have talked to you more. You will forever be such great friends!

Kathryn-nannygoat said...

I didn't know you have a blog! YAY! I can keep up with you now.
I'm at www.kentuckygrubbs.blogspot.com

I bet Allie is in heaven with the new puppy...so fun... for her ;)